Friday, July 01, 2005

ORIGINAL SIN

Fireworks were, for me, the Original Sin.

Illegal in Pennsylvania, a firecracker was a Special Thing. A Cherry Bomb was a Very Very Very Special Thing.

I've always been crazy for fireworks. Or I was. Till they became work. I'll explain, but first, fireworks through the years:

I have a very early memory of being in a car with other neighborhood kids and some adults, and after a drive to what seemed like a far away place, watching a fireworks display through the rear window. I remember thinking it was fan-tas-tic. I was just a little kid, maybe 5? I saw into heaven.

I remember sitting in the sand watching men take amazing thing after amazing thing out of a huge paper bag and watching this special fireworks display in the alley just off 35th street by the beach in Ocean City, New Jersey. Maybe I was 8.

Not really fireworks but on or about one 4th of July I remember my dad and uncle - after a few drinks - shooting a .45 my dad brought back from the army at the moon hanging over the ocean.

I remember buying firecrackers - for a quarter each - from a kid I knew. I remember just having them gave me a thrill. They were Black Cats... 1 1/2 inchers! I eventually blew up a model airplane or an ant hill.

I remember the kid up the street with M80s (said to be quarter sticks of dynamite and I wouldn't argue the point) - set around the neigborhood with cigarette fuses on each (the cigarette burns down then lights the fuse... more time to get away.) Well, after one blast, a neighbor came running out of his house REALLY mad and was yelling at M80 kid when the bomb that was on the cigarette delay in the bushes at the angry man's front porch went off with perfect timing. NOW he was BEYOND mad!

I remember finding sparklers for sale in a bicycle shop - like finding treasure!

I remember being in Military Summer Camp, figuring military = patriotic = fireworks! But there weren't any. I can still see myself on my bunk in the dark, trying to get an angle on the window, to see if fireworks from somewhere would appear in the distance, behind the trees. Nothing.

In high school I remember helping my friend Jim set off his stash of Cherry Bombs - I think we blew apart a Life Guard stand - certainly did it damage. He also had a sling shot. I'd light and he'd let 'em rip... hundreds of feet into the air, and maybe back down - very niiiice. I remember catching sand sharks off his pier and stuffing waterproof cherry bombs into their mouths and letting them go. Pause. Whomp! Shark pieces. I know, horrible. But that's what young teens DO before girls.

I remember making our own fireworks.

Setting a field on fire.

Burning myself making flares.

I remember going to a fireworks display in the 70s, very stoned. IT WAS THE 70s. We arrived late. There was no good place to park but somehow we managed to be right under the display. I was standing at first, but the display brought me to my KNEES. I saw heaven again. (C'mon, lighten up - it was the 70s.)

Years later, working in radio, we'd get involved with fireworks displays and tell everyone to "Bring Your Radio" as the fireworks would be synced to the audio soundtrack we broadcast. A pain, frankly, and in all the years we did it, I don't think I saw more than a handful of radios, combined. We'd put up PA systems and sure enough, some family would set up right THERE and then complain about the loud music. And if you COULD hear it, but weren't on top of it, it wasn't synchronized anyway because the speed of sound is a lot slower than the speed of light. I think that's when the magic went away.

I sure hope it isn't due to maturity.

Now here in Texas you can buy certain fireworks (no Cherry Bombs) in roadside stands - the best deal so far has been BUY1 get 11 FREE. Due to extreme drought, though, there's a fire ban and no doubt many people will burn many things this weekend. I know if I go into a stand I will buy the place out. I will try to not do that.

We've been invited by new friends to watch the local fireworks from their place. We've accepted. I hope I see heaven.

No comments: