Saturday, October 08, 2005

Fall planting.

I just planted 267,000 seeds. Seriously. I planted scarlet sage and blanketflower. No, I didn't count them, I'm not that obsessive. The seed farm gives quantity on the packets. And I have well over a million others to go. Many are California poppies. No doubt satellite photos will flag this land as Afganistan in Texas, but I don't think these are those poppies.

But let's take the 267,000. I know, first you might ask - why plant in the fall? Because in Texas that's what you DO!

I surveyed. I planned. I announced my arrival in loud voice to all things slithery. I raked. I broadcast the seeds. I sweat buckets. I showered. I took a pain pill left over from my oral surgery. I know I used muscles which are not the usual ones. They have begun a protest.

Of the 267,000 seeds, here's my breakdown:

Seed farm says about 76% are fertile.

That leaves 209,760.

Some no doubt landed on rocks or other non-growing media. Say, 15%.

That leaves 178,296.

Of those, 10% won't get enough sun.

That leaves 160,466.

You can see where this is going, can't you?

Mice: 10%: leaving 144,419

Birds: 30%: leaving 101,093

Seeds I stepped on and drove too deep: 5%: 96,039 left.

Drought and/or flooding rains: 30%: 67,227

General juju: 20%: 53,781

So, not bad - I made quite a dent. Next spring will uncover a blanket of color and I will be that much closer to nature.

I am starting to get muscle aches, but also a floating buzz. Maybe this farming thing is for me after all.

No comments: