Wednesday, December 14, 2005

THE TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS

When I programmed a radio station in Houston, we had a good ole earth dog of an engineer. I liked his voice. He was quite the character. We also had a young gofer hanging around (he later went on to program!)

I wrote and aired a promo which still tickles me whenever I think of it. Something like this:

DAD (Almost stoned Earthdog) "SON?"
KID "Yes Dad"
DAD "You know you're gettin' older now and I think it's time you knew..."
KID "Knew what dad?"
DAD "About Christmas."
KID "Christmas?"
DAD "Yeah. See Christmas isn't about Santa Claus and gifts..."
KID "It isn't?"
DAD "No, the true meaning of Christmas is.... BIG BULBS! Just like a lot of things you'll discover later in life, BIGGER is BETTER!"

And off it went into a Christmas Light promotion. There was also a line about all the cats leaving the neighborhood because of the lazers he had put into the plastic reindeer. That's how I remember it - the guys acted it out with such fatherly advice versus boyish innocense.

The good old days. Before everything got corporate. And that radio station... in Houston, Texas, was owned by (I am not making this up) Eskimoes.

No comments: