Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I TOOK A DUMP


And moved it. And man, there was a lot of it. 15 cubic yards. Gen-u-ine Revitalizer(tm) Compost, declared as Savior of Our Lawn, which till now has been a shrine to weeds.

I bit off more than I can chew. Man, that's a bad choice of words.

I knew little about compost. I know more now. I have experienced compost moments.

The dump truck driver was like a ballerina in his skill at putting it exactly where I wanted. And this was a dual-wheel big bad boy truck. Nice to see a pro do his stuff!

The compost was steaming.

It smells a little earthy, but that's it.

I shoveled, raked, and repositioned bucketsfull of this stuff from about 8:30AM till 5:30PM with only a few breaks for water or a banana. And one half hour for phone calls.

Charles Horse, the vigilante reminder of work just done, visited my body in several surprising locations. Gnarled up good a few times.

I have 'a bad back' so I realize I tempted fate. So far I can still do most things.
Some, reasonably well, but that's another story.

Will the grass edge out the weeds? Only time will tell.

No comments: