Saturday, July 30, 2005

Explosion in my PANTS!

I escaped, but I think it was close. Too close.

Hey, what were you thinking? THAT kind of explosion? No. Dream on.

Here's the story. IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU. I have a guy-toy thing, a geeky-guy-toy thing that measures sound pressure level. Why I have it is so I can match levels. You always think the louder sound is better, so it helps, when evaluating equipment, to match levels.

Okay. So it needed a new 9v battery. One of those rectangular types. I bought a two-pack and took one out. Put it into my pocket, as I was distracted.

Sidebar:

The other day while we were out, Jessie, our Cocker Spaniel, carpet bombed our office rug. Bullseye dead center. So we've become hyper-sensitive about taking her out. I had just showered, changed, pocketed the battery and thought I saw THE LOOK, so took her out.

I then came back in, and went to listen to some music.

Reached into my pocket and found the battery - almost too hot to touch!

It had landed face down in 37 cents of change. Shorted out! The handkerchief also there - or the lint - must have protected my leg from the rising heat. I tell ya, it was going critical!

I could have had fried privates.

Don't let this happen to you! Smokey the Gonad says Only You Can Prevent Pant Fires!

No comments: