Wednesday, December 27, 2006

FLAT SCREEN-ITIS

Consumers gobbled up home electronics this holiday season, as quality is generally up and prices down. We keep waiting for our rear screen projector to die. The thing just keeps on going. As the World's Most Impatient Man (TM), I am extremely eager to jump to HDTV. However, there's at least one good reason to wait: technology keeps leaping ahead.

While I plan to get another rear screen projector, I have to admit the idea of a flat panel appeals to me, while the details of the current state of each display technology, don't. (If you want the lowdown check my website: www.greathometheater.com) Lo! On the horizon is another display type which they say bests plasma... it's called SED, and should be out in about a year. I won't go into technical explanations, but there are reasons why it should be superior to anything that exists yet. I don't think it's hype, either.

We did visit with some neighbors yesterday, and happened to watch the Eagles hand it to the Cowboys in HDTV on a great plasma screen. Wow. My friend puts it best: the picture is so good, it distracts you from what's going on. I say the picture is better than my vision.

Still, when you only get one of these beasts every 10 to 15 years, it makes sense to try to reach for the height of picture quality.

No comments: