Thursday, March 16, 2006

I CAN'T DRIBBLE

Growing up there were two seasons. Baseball at the playground and Football in the street. Once in a while there'd be a brief excursion to someone's hoop, but not for long.

When I was in grade school, about 5th or 6th grade, the nun (!) was playing basketball with the boys at lunch. She threw the ball to me. I was under the empty basket - as the other boys ran toward me, I tried for a basket. Missed. Had time for another throw before they got there. Missed again. Maybe that stopped me cold. I am still embarrassed! I can see that moment so clearly. If there are peak experiences there surely are valley experiences and that was one!

I've tried. I just can't dribble.

And if I have to move with the ball, I lose it. No coordination. I envy the guys who still play, all macho and elbows...

Somewhere way below the post is a picture from my early 20s, as a disc jockey in Pittsburgh at the big Top 40 station - I scored so little that when I finally DID they stopped the game and announced my first ever basket. Another valley.

So that takes us to the March Madness. I usually don't care at all. When coerced I'd enter the office pool and simply pick best records... usually I would do well, but never win. I don't watch or care about basketball.

THIS year, though, and much to my surprise, my alma mater, Villanova, is highly ranked (2) and seeded. I like it when the school gets any good press. It validates my diploma. I want people to nod knowingly if they ever ask where I went to college.

The president of the school taught me several classes in high school. About 20 years later, upon his appointment, I shot him a letter - just a "good for you" letter.

HE ANSWERED IT and remembered me and cited classes he had taught me! Clearly he has a great memory and is a people person (though we weren't close or anything when I was a student and he was a young teacher!)

They have a great on-line tour, btw! Nice facilities. Beautiful grounds. I did graduate, but radio at the campus radio station actually changed my life more than the courses I took.

So, Go Wildcats! I'll watch when they go all the way.

No comments: