Wednesday, March 15, 2006

SXSW

South by Southwest (SXSW) is under full swing/rock/pop/rap/film/workshop/gig/ahowcase. It's huge. A billion bands and filmmakers and stars twinkle into town and strut their stuff for agents, bookers, hookers, industry heavies and pretenders. Described as an important step in building a career, there are bands from all over the world performing in - what - 70? locations around town almost non-stop. I attempted to count performances - I stopped at over 700 with pages to go! They say 1400 bands play during this event!

It makes you proud, and helps keep the edge that Austin embraces as its specialty.

I admit that working 15 miles away from downtown where a lot of the action is, I am tempted to hit a bar or coffee shop just to see who I might run into. I think Neil Young is in town today. Charlize Theron yesterday. Lyle Lovett the day before. Ray Romano, Brad Garrett, Herbie Hancock... and many many more - I can't even begin to list them all. I'll put a good link here.

And - I note today - that Austin is putting in Hi Speed wide area Wi-Fi networks to cover downtown and beyond, free, in the very near future! Not bad!

No comments: