Saturday, August 20, 2005

I fed the pig.

I fed the pig 256MB x 2. That should feed its insatiable hunger for memory. It is compatible, same speed, ddr, desktop ram. I felt like a geek Tim Allen, "...arf arf arf MORE POWER!!!" Well, more memory, not really power. But you get the idea.

Amazingly, this time I didn't bleed. I have in the past - it's as if becoming a blood brother/ vampire lover with the computer... like Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thorton in a much more perverted and way less organic way.

Placing/Forcing those memory modules into the million connection receptacles is hard - you can cut yourself on the circuit board or one of the throwing stars that the Chinese workers weld into the place you want to access.

Of course they've designed these things with tolerances I can't begin to understand. And you have to move the intestines of wire to even clear the slot.

But the big suprise is - it works. (I guess that's obvious) - it rebooted and recognized all 1 Gig memory.

Meanwhile back at Gateway online support (which won't work), the tech is telling me to enable java - which was already enabled, so he can climb in and nose around from afar.

I may quit while I think I'm ahead.

No comments: