Friday, August 19, 2005

Insufficient Memory. Yeah, I have that.

Computers!

Ours recently started to act out. First it left messages about WIN16. In screwing with it, I accidentally deleted parts of Microsoft Works. I wouldn't care except for the calendar which steered my life. Can't find the install disc.

My friend Geoff got on the line with me and walked me through what seemed like many changes. He said some old fart program was constipating the operating system. Geoff and I went through the whole startup tab, deleting this or that.

I then rebooted and apparently lost all our changes. Never mind.

Then more recently the computer seems to have developed a memory problem (despite repeated re-boots). It'll not load a program and say there's insufficient memory. But the system resources analyzer says there IS.

Today, another friend, Sandy, walked me through a lot of this again, gently repeating his mantra: "Trust me," but when I rebooted, I lost HIS changes. Those darn little boxes that open up put the FEAR in me.


“Warning!


To activate the changes you have made, you could deactivate other shared programs or protocols.
Do you REALLY wish to do this?
Are you STUPID enough? Go ahead. Click OK.
I dare you!"



So I sit, anguished. Conflicted. And my computer TAUNTS me.

Then tonight I tried for on-line support and the computer says I have to enable a security setting which is already enabled. But it won't let me past that screen other than to show me what to do that I already did.

Tomorrow I might just go buy some memory, which costs about 50% of what Gateway wants to sell theirs for. Making you feel like THEIRS knows better. Maybe the stuff you get at BestBuy did pot as a teenager and blew its mind.

PC Doctor tests memory as okay.

Defrag isn't necessary, says that program.

Virus scans up to date and clean as a latex gloved proctologist.

Spybot only finds Alexa, which I know and use.

I may have to do the manly thing - and kick the damn box.

Lets' hope there's no artificial intelligence in this machine or I'm REALLY screwed!

No comments: