Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Adventures in Urology!

Here's a clue - if you see that as a cable-tv listing, pass.

It is a beautiful bright, blue-sky 60 degree+ morning deep in the heart of Texas. And on this wonderful day, I must drive to the Urologist for a checkup post-surgery, now that 4 1/2 weeks have elapsed. I'm not used to morning traffic, working out of the house as I have, so I left with plenty of time to spare.

Since the surgery, the URGE will come up at a sometimes-alarming rate, and there's no holding it back for more than a minute or two, if you get my drift.

So here I go into the sun, driving to this hidden medical center. Last time I took the wrong exit. THIS time I will be much more careful. First left, then a right, then second left, good. Boy, I drink a lot for breakfast - all that juice and that big bowl of cereal... the pressure is on, but I think I'll make it. All is good. Hey, there's the hospital. DARN I missed my exit. Hey, I have to GO.

Remember, it comes on quickly. I make the NEXT exit, hoping I can find my way back... in time.

Oh heck, I am lost. Where's a coffee shop or anything with a bathroom.

There aren't any. It's pawn shops and body shops and nothing looks open anyway.

I start to plan. And discover at some state of being you just don't care... you do what you have to do.

When I first turned onto this exit, I noticed a 'street' that seemed out of place, almost like the sugar cane fields James Bond drove through in one of his movies with Sean Connery as Bond. Very atypical in the land of pawn. High grasses, I guess, along the road.

I will stop.

But then ahead I notice what may be the hospital maybe a mile away. The doc's office is nearby. I decide to go for it. I race.

And hit the longest light in the world. I am on a third-world alley compared to the main thoroughfare I must cross. And I am seriously thinking about just gunning it to run the light at a traffic pause. The only thing that holds me back is if a cop sees this and stops me (assuming I survive it), I won't have time to explain. It'll be a demonstration!

FINALLY the light lets me go and I don't (if you get my drift). I race through the intersection and miss another turn.

I circle back. Park in any space. Make my dash... and I know if the doctor's office doesn't open till 9 I am sunk. Hand on the door, I am like a NASA countdown and the rocket is about to leave the bounds of earth!

The door is open. I make a run for the restroom. And make it. Just in time.

Thankful grew a new dimension today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob,
Hope everything came out all right (if you get my drift).
Would you like to borrow my GPS?
How about one of those empty 128 oz. Poland Springs jugs?

M3