Sunday, November 20, 2005

Car insurance discounts.

Are now possible. There's a box. You hook it to your car and then regularly download it into your computer and send the collected data to the insurance company. They, in turn, can see how fast you drove, etc., and reward careful drivers with lower rates.

Unless your teenager takes the car.

The 'rat box' will 'out' them. You may not want to know.

One fine fall afternoon, driving my mother's car home from my rural high school, the devil on my right shoulder goaded me with his pitchfork. My lust-for-speed gland was stimulated. "Go ahead, Bobby - the road is straight and long and you can see it's only fields on both sides and I wonder how fast this car will GOOOOOoooo?" Wuss-boy answered. I floored it. The Chevy got up to about 90, then I hit a dip in the road and launched the car into the air. Really did. It came down in a shower of sparks. And stalled. Would NOT start. I had to call home from a house up the street. They sent the repair guy who towed it away and later said that, "WHOEVER HAS BEEN DRIVING THIS CAR HAS BEEN DRIVING IT HARD." Understand that my parents were so conservative my father DIDN'T DRIVE and my mother (who topped out at 35 mph) insisted that radios in cars were dangerous - "because you couldn't hear ambulances."

BUSTED.

No comments: