Wednesday, November 23, 2005

AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS

I must have passed a threshold. Watching the first two hours of the AMAs (Dick Clark's version of the Grammys - seriously, that's what they are) I felt that most of it was weak. Cedric - pass. His brief dance was the best part of his act. His jokes mostly fell flat. Lindsay Lohan - pass. Hillary Duff - pass. You could just see the corporatization of some of these 'stars' as it was all fluff and posing, lacking any real substance. I'm too old to remember (or care) which was which - Lindsay or Hillary had dancers in wild action behind her; it looked like some bizarre disconnect ritual. They were trying very hard to(distract?) And you could hear that the lead - Lindsay or Hillary - was missing notes by the bushel. One was worse by far than the other.

Mariah Carey looked like she belongs in a tank at Seaworld. She blamed her monitors for a bad performance. Granted. But the monitors didn't chow down for her. I haven't seen Mariah for years (actually have avoided her successfully) but wow! she has packed it on. Put THAT in a slinky dress and you get something I don't want to see. If she dropped a boob out of that dress, it'd be a seismic disturbance!

It's probably me and my tastes.

Rob Thomas was good. Sheryl Crow was pro. Cindy Lauper was very good. Los Lonely Boys and Carlos Santana were the best we saw till we left for Threshold, a fair sci-fi show with no dancers trying to make the aliens look good.

I read that there were plenty of artist no-shows. Can't blame them.

No comments: