Thursday, February 23, 2006

ST. LUCIA BLOG

"Luuuucy, you got some 'splainin' to do!"

I never said that ONCE while in St. Lucia. I forgot.

I am trying to figure out the best way to blog about that trip after the fact. Some of the story is a few posts south of this one. With no connection to the outside world, I couldn't blog each day, so will have to reconstruct. I did take about 300 digital and 70 film pictures. Once I get a chance, I'd like to post some, but am not sure if that's best on this blog, or a specialized one, or even through some other service. I'll keep you posted.

Camera comparison

Well, I can tell you the SLR was much easier to use and except for SEEING the pictures and the economy of taking several to get the best of the best, had it all over the point-and-shoot Minolta. Why? A much clearer viewfinder, a much wider zoom lens (and down to 28mm!) and much more latitude in settings. The Minolta only does 2.8 to 3.5 for aperture. (I must be wrong about this - I believe I am quoting the minimums but haven't seen a larger number, or missed it if displayed!) Without looking, I'd guess the Canon goes f2.8 to f22.

The whole waste issue, which I blame on the grade school nuns who beat it into our heads to 'finish our lunch because there were starving kids in China' (huh?) still haunts me when it comes to shooting film. But in digi - heck - you can just shoot and shoot and shoot. Erase what you don't like. Shoot some more. Memory is reusable and batteries rechargeable!

I like the digi for handing off to someone to take a picture with me in it - I can check their work right away.

What I will do is have the film transferred to digital too, and compare.

BATHROOM

The toilet facilities, even on a luxury sailing yacht, can be tiny and manual. Luckily for us, this one was electric. Go and push the button. Hold for 20 seconds.

Others we have experienced are manual - turn the valve, pump 20 times, turn it the other way, pump more. About midweek those tend to start to bray like a mule. EEEE aaaaaaawwww EEEEE aaaaaaaaawwwww.... each stroke announcing to the world...

But this electric one was so convenient. To flush you push and hold the button. AND Try to ignore that it then sounds like a 1956 tractor engine running at 95% of flat out. Kind of embarrassing. But nicely functional.

I didn't take any pictures of the toilet and bathroom. You'll have to take my word it was very small. I think a really large person could get wedged in there.

EXOTIC FAUNA

Nope. Cows, chickens, goats, sea birds, dogs and cats.

EXOTIC FLORA

Oh yes. Sorry I can't name them, but we believe that St. Lucia has the 2nd most diverse flora in the world! And the spring season was ON! Lush!

SUPERMODELS ON SUPERYACHTS

Didn't see any models - did see and photograph some mighty fine super yachts. I blew air kisses just in case.

There was one Blonde who was on our flight out of St. Lucy... I suggested to Terri she was a supermodel but Terri wasn't buying that. She was about TWICE Terri's size. Okay, I exaggerate. But she was darn near 6 feet tall and lanky. With makeup and photo retouching what it is, I'm not so sure she wasn't...

No comments: