Tuesday, February 21, 2006

ST. LUCIA

And the Grenadines in the West Indies. That's where we chartered a crewed sailboat (a 55 foot monohull) and to our good fortune, the other passenger (on a stateroom package plan) was snowed in by the blizzard in NYC and so we had the boat to ourselves for a very wonderful and romantic adventure in the finest area!

By the way, a 55 foot sailboat is called a sailing yacht.

I'll figure out a way to post many pictures over the next few days, perhaps on a companion site, and do a serious write up. I can also give an intelligent comparison on my twin cameras now... the slr/film vs digital point and shoot. (Each has merits and negs.)

We sailed through 50 knot winds, by the way. Loved it! Terri cashed in our frequent flyer miles and we went first class, too (comments on that will follow once the jet lag allows better typing... it ain't what it used to be, but is still good!)

So, as I wrote, we're back, and I will be loading this blog with more. (COME BACK SOON AND OFTEN!) It's so odd to be completely cut off from news (by choice) and no doubt will have much to say on THAT (like WHAT WERE THEY THINKING to allow ports to be controlled by an Arab company? Hey, even if squeaky clean, that's just BAD PR. Bush and his cronies have once again showed lack of savvy!)


FIRST CLASS

Now THAT'S the way to fly. But not if you personally have to pay for it! What you get: earlier boarding. Then you get hit by many bags as large people move masses of gear-in-containers to the rear. What you get: wider seats, 2-by-2. What you may get: two coughing guys right behind you. What you can get: free drinks. I had diet coke, but others were drinking what appeared to be booze. What you get: a movie on longer flights. I watched a chick flick (Elizabethtown) but I blame it on the tranquilizer I took because I am a nervous traveler. It always gripes me that when they show a movie they ask people to shut their shades. Movies I can see when I want. Flying at 30 some thousand feet over (in our case, the launch pads at Cape Canaveral, you don't get to see often.) Clearly planes need flat screen TVs and not early 80s front screen projection which requires darkness. What you don't get, not even from Puerto Rico to Atlanta, a flight of almost 4 hours - FOOD! Nope. You can eat crackers or pretzels or some sort of cookie.

Oh - you get quicker access to the first class bathroom. That's good.

And when the pilot takes a potty break, they block the aisle with what used to be a food cart. Security. Fine with me.

SECURITY

You can call me shallow. When we flew out of Austin, there was a guy on board wearing a Turban, with an Osama-type beard and what I thought were shifty eyes. I was hoping they were darn EXTRAcareful screening him. Later I wondered if I am racist. Guess what? I don't care. Better safe than sorry. When they tell me to take off my shoes for X-Ray, I do, gladly. Check the guy in the turban. HE should be glad they do, too.

THE PITONS

I will post pictures soon. These are former volcanoes and behind them is an active one. We moored for two nights - first and last - beneath all. When the breeze blew in the right direction, the sulfur smelled like a just-lit match. Now I will have forever reminders of the fumaroles.

One night the breeze blew another way and the unmistakable scent of GANJA wafted over from another boat. Moorings, our charter company, warns you in the first 10 minutes aboard - there are to be no drugs, though they are apparently available. More on the Ganja farm we saw WAY UP a mountain (from the sea below) later.

No comments: