Thursday, September 01, 2005

Crisis worsens.

New Orleans' plight is so sad. And so chaotic. Response was so slow. Bush 'cut his vacation short.' WHERE WERE HIS ADVISORS? I usually figure that if I can out-think the pros, then they are seriously weak. On the other hand, I've been accused of being arrogant, so, if I am, there it is. He should have been there in person right away.

What must the world be thinking? Whatever was left of our image as "The White Hat" pre-Iraq, has to have again taken a pounding worldwide as the chaos, lawlessness and weak response is televised.

Just wait till the finger pointing begins. I think we need an overhauled congress.

This is the first time I believe I've seen news anchors seemingly express disbelief at what they are being fed by their official sources.

Bush said we'd have 'a zero tolerance policy against looting.' And that means what, exactly, beyond the sound-bite? You can't get busses to get the victims out, the jails have been evacuated. "You with the TV, stand over there and don't move!"

Listening to the various officials, I think you can clearly pick out the good ones from the bad - the true saviors versus the poseurs. God bless the good guys (and women.)

FEMA had crews ringing the area? Were they thinking that through? City under water... what is our plan?

Where is the Homeland Security plan for major damage to large urban center? Or doesn't it count if it isn't a nuke or bioweapon? Guess what? New Orleans has seen mass destruction and that water is toxic.

This is tragic, heart-rending, yet not completely unexpected (city below sea level in path of hurricane), but despite the many tremendously dedicated and hard working rescuers and helpful people on the scene... I get the feeling that despite the fund raising, outpouring of sympathy and aid... something has been lost from our core.

1 comment:

The Awkward Dancer said...

I completely agree.