Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Kickoff... tailgate party.

I still don't believe it.

As I wrote below, our development has merged into another entity. Last night there was a kickoff party to celebrate.

Since I said I would, I'll TRY to describe it, but it may be the proverbial indescribable event.

Themed as a Tailgate party, we were greeted by valet parking staff in referee outfits. Then cheerleaders - one squad with SOGC (Spanish Oaks Golf Club) the other with DLC (Discovery Land Company) uniforms. We were led to a huge white tent on one of the golf course areas.

Shrimp so large that THREE filled me up, crab claws and oysters awaited on tables completely carved of clear ice. Same with 4 bars - carved ice. Top wines, top shelf liquor...

Tables were set up with linen and candles. The party obviously included more than members of the golf club, home or land owners, prospects, and members of both sides of the partnerships.

Outside the tent there were specialty food serving stations representing each of the various clubs Discovery Land manages around the country. Each serving food that was incredible. I believe I saw a corn dog looking thing which was LOBSTER.

A ten piece band entertained... and they were darn good. I guess you have to expect that in this music city.

How about a custom cigar roller doing his thing while you watched. They were SO good I had two. Today my mouth regrets it, but how many times do you get an opportunity like THAT?

All free and nobody was allowed to accept tips.

Well, free is relative, as the price of admission to this development is up there, and I believe with this new association, will only go up - way up.

I am amazed at how nice everyone is. We felt that way when we lived in The Woodlands (no pun) about 45 miles north of Houston, some years back. God Bless Texas!

Lance Armstrong was there - the golf club is the scene for his annual charity tourney. I said to myself after someone said that's him... "no way - or is it?" Sure enough. Had to shake the man's hand. I think I said, "Lance, it's rare in life to be able to meet anyone as good at anything as you are at what you do." I fear it came out - with a little help of the wine that I was drinking, "Lancsh, gher hhmm thrup tird squahsling doo." But he was nice and accepted my attempted compliment with a firm handshake. Someone said they thought Sheryl Crow was going to sing but I'm not sure she was there - I thought I saw her, but only for a second. In Texas, under a high tent, blondes are NOT in short supply.

I said to a neighbor, "Look - that guy looks like Jack Nicklaus!" (but it obviously wasn't.) Later, once he got a good look, he said that guy isn't Nicklaus it's Darrell Royal.

A gift pack was set in the car. A football, stadium blanket, odds and ends in a carrier and a calendar.

Now they have events planned WEEKLY.

No comments: