Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Rodney Crowell

Last night we saw the inaugaral concert at THE GLEN at THE BACKYARD, a new venue in SW Austin. Lee Roy Parnell performed without his band - the show was a held-over rain delay from the night before, and his band was booked elsewhere, so Lee Roy entertained by himself.

He was personable and sings wonderfully. Credit to him for doing it all alone! A total pro.

Then, ladies and gentlemen, Rodney Crowell (actually, there was no introduction.)
Rodney and his band LAUNCHED into a 90 minute show that rocked and rocked and rocked. Almost no between song talk. One song into the next, no stopping. Most material from his last three critically acclaimed (me too) CDs.

Words fail. This was a FABULOUS show. It had the energy of a newbie tearing his way up and the performances of veterans cutting way loose. They all seemed to be having a great time. And why not? Making music that good has to be a pleasure. Great, clear sound, a perfect night.

Terri asked me how to categorize the music. I can't. Rock is what I'd have to say, but I think it's beyond categorization. I used to think of Rodney as a country artist. Man, that's a pigeon hole he doesn't fit. He's too special to fit. Eagles don't fit pigeon holes.

I have seen so many shows and performances over the years I've lost count. THAT many. This was one of the best ever. THAT GOOD.

You leave saying WOW over and over again, shaking your head and saying WOW again.

If you can, catch this show!!!! Spread the word.

Tour Dates

No comments: