Thursday, October 06, 2005

CHRISTMAS MUSIC aaaaarragghhhhhhhhh!

As you read below, I am knee-deep in brother-in-law's cassette to CD project. To do the best job I can, I had to bring the recording gear into the office with me. I have the music playing on headphones just loud enough to hear so I can tell when the cassettes' music ends - I can just make it out. It turns out the brain doesn't need much to grab and hold.
There are polkas, marches, easy listening music (he calls it dinner music) and now... Christmas music.

All of this stuff sticks in your head and I hear it when it isn't there. It's on a loop in my head and WON'T STOP. I had a mind-loop of the Beer Barrel Polka that went a day and a half and still echoes in my synapses. "Roll out the bar-rel... we'll have a bar-rel of fun...!" I MAY turn to self-medication.

Today is Christmas Music day. The irony is I got so sick of it when in radio and the station would play it non-stop for 40 hours or whatever... Christmas eve and day. THEN the trend, which we jumped on, was to play it for 6 weeks STRAIGHT - as YOUR CHRISTMAS MUSIC STATION.* It DOES pull a large audience (poor souls). I thought I escaped that life, but just four feet away as I type this, hark! Herald angels are singing....

I hope this counts as Purgatory time served.

* The problem is that there are only maybe 14 really well known, beloved Christmas songs. You play every version you can get but still, the repeat factor will drive your mind batty. I like Christmas. I even like the songs. Maybe once a year per song. Maybe.

No comments: