Saturday, October 01, 2005

SERENITY

is a movie based on the cancelled TV show FIREFLY. Original cast. After the show was bungled by Fox, airing its 11 episodes OUT OF ORDER, then dropping it, the DVD set sold 1,000,000 copies at about $40. Creator Joss (or Josh - I've seen it both ways) Whedon got backing to do a movie version.

A one sentence summary: Misfits and outcasts in space 500 years from now. As much a western (with shotguns and 6 shooters even!) as sci-fi. VERY difficult to explain but wonderfully explained on screen. I admit to haviing loved the series. My review: GO SEE IT. It's 100% fabulous.

Plot A+
Acting A+
Direction A++
Editing A+
Writing A++

Can you tell I liked it? LOVED it. Really - GO SEE IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob,

You had told me about SERENITY so I did the loser geek thing and went by myself.

I had never watched a complete episode of FIREFLY, so it was basically new to me.

I loved it.

It has some of the better aspects of STAR TREK, a touch of THE MATRIX, and a lot of Westerns in it.

Great movie. Go see it.