Sunday, October 30, 2005

Fallen Hero

Yesterday a letter arrived from my high school. They fingered my favorite and popular priest/teacher as guilty of sexual abuse. Where they once revered the man and used his name to drive fund-raising at this Catholic prep boys school, now they will strip his name from the building named as his memorial, and wipe his memory from fund-raising solicitations.

I had him in at least 6 classes over 4 years. He was brilliant, with multiple degrees. I remember raising my hand during a test - he came down to my side. I saw a loophole (they plagued me) and wanted to know if the question meant THIS or THAT. He then moved his lips to my ear, as if to whisper, and simply blew air! As if to blow out cobwebs. Funny!

The man died some years back, so there's no defense. I wonder if it IS all true - but the letter was pretty clear that their proof is sufficient. Cynically, I don't think they'd erase a still-earning dead man from their alumni fund-pledging machinery without good reason.

The whole thing is ugly.

I went looking via Google for more detail on that situation, didn't succeed, but found such a Grand Jury's list of clergy abuse within the Philadelphia Archdiocese, that it sickened me. It was a long, long list with graphic detail.

Where ARE the heroes?

Addendum: This has been wearing on me. The man died in 1980. Could it be the accusations are unfounded? I called the Head of the School and spoke with him. He assured me there was proof. And that others had come forward since the letter was published. I guess part of me was in denial. I never (thankfully) saw that side of the priest. I said, "Well, the world has lost one more hero." The Head of School said, "He was a hero to many - just one that screwed up."

But somehow that seems dismissive. If ANYONE should be held to higher standards, wouldn't it be priests?

No comments: