Monday, January 30, 2006

CRASH

The film was in theaters for ten minutes or so. Maybe more. Or less. I missed it -just knew it existed. Didn't see it, didn't know much about it. Didn't care. Wouldn't have even rented it.

But it just took Best Ensemble Cast from the Screen Actors Guild awards.

And as luck would have it, my Screen Actors Guild membership afforded me a free copy of the DVD - that free flick thing has happened maybe twice in my 32 year membership. I doubt it was related to the win since the DVD arrived late last week. Maybe it went out alphabetically. Maybe it broke Brokeback Mountain, a favorite-to-win. Who knows.

I did watch it, and although wouldn't normally entertain myself with a movie about racism, this is an excellent work. You don't know what's next. You squirm. And through it all you feel they are uncovering layer upon layer of truth. That's tough to do without stereotyping.

Great direction. Great acting all around (Pulp Fiction comes to mind). Brief nudity, profanity (F bombs), violence, truth.

No comments: