Saturday, January 14, 2006

RADIO MEMORIES

I just found the archives. Pictures of me - as a deejay as early as 1968. Whew!

Isn't it odd how you can see a picture THAT old and it triggers what was happening at that moment? Hey, I've never had a good memory, so this was a surprise.

Radio stations are rarely what you think they are. Generally the studios are messy. Back then the gear was really hodge-podge! My earliest stations were very small. But even in the big time (Top 10 market -- which Pittsburgh was back then) the gear was serviceable,yet not what you might think.

I had a friend who programmed a radio station in the early 80s which had bats in the control room - where the deejay sat. The cheap GM wouldn't let them hire an exterminator!

At my first job, the program director/deejay would go to his car for a cigarette while a long song was on (Hey Jude) (Susie Q). AND THE DIMBULB would lock himself OUT! I lived a couple hundred yards away - basically across the street. He'd run to a neighbor's house (no cell phones in 1968) and call me to come let him in. On the air: tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch tch-tch... the sound a record makes when it's over.

No comments: