Tuesday, January 17, 2006

KISSED BY A DUMP TRUCK!


Argh! My dump luck! (Sorry.)

The car saga: my Audi hasn't had real service - other than oil changes - in quite a while. In fact, it enjoyed the 50,000 service at 40,000 miles as it was free and the time limit on free was expiring. And we moved... so the old dealer lost track of us... Till just recently when they sent a reminder that an 'interval' had passed. I'd say so - I'm at 72,000.

So I called the Texas/Austin/Local dealer and discovered they weren't really SURE when it was due. But I persisted and eventually did see the "book" outlining all procedures.

I opted for the BIGGIE - the 90,000 mile service. New water pump, timing belt, pulley, rollers, tuneup, filters, rags, bolt turning, nose picking, sponge bath... $1600+

I really like this car and plan to have it a LONG time. That's why!

I rented a car as the service would span a few days. "Want the $16 walk away insurance?" "Naaa." I know I'm covered by my insurance and I never have accidents.

Until today.

A HUGE dump truck - A 2005 Freightliner - changed lanes beside me. He chose the lane I was in. His tire probably caused about $2000 in damages. We pulled off the busy highway (actually into the middle emergency lane as cars and trucks rocketed by) and I called 911. We decided to "fill out the forms" instead of waiting there for a cop. "That's an option," sez 911.


Deductable misery!


Surprisingly calm, we exchanged info and luckily the rental drove okay. The Freightliner didn't even know anything had happened. I am lucky his giant John Wayne LUGNUTS didn't chop the side of my Audi to shreds!

Now the insurance tapdance begins. The trucking company owner has made some noises on voicemail that makes me suspicious as to his admission of their liability.

The truck driver said he didn't see me. Don't know what he told his boss.

I realize now - many hours later, that if I was out of position by only a few more feet, my car could have had a blowout, throwing me in front of the loaded truck. And he would have rolled right over me. Or he might have forced me into the other lane and another truck at 65 mph. It didn't seem scary at the time, but now, it's pretty sobering.


Addendum, a day later: Now the driver claims I ran into him. Like I'd miss the fact that there was a huge dumptruck right beside me in the next lane and pull into him!

No comments: