Thursday, April 20, 2006

LISTEN PEOPLE

(Herman's Hermits)

This evening the Wood Shed will fill with wimmin folk with whom Terri works, but as fate would have it - I take it as A SIGN - I have been invited to a showing of $135,000 speakers (among other things.) It's not at all inconceivable that I will hear what $200,000 worth of stereo system will do. I'll meet the manufacturer and fellow middle-aged bald guys who have invested a lot in their do-dah doing.

(My speakers are in the same product line, at a lower entry point.)



Here are panoramas of my listening room. No, no TV. This is for the glory of MUSIC.



(And no, it's not as long as it looks - that's the distortion of panorama. It's about 20 x 21 or so.)

I will take my camera and try to get some pictures of the action. You won't see the music.

This should be interesting. I will post what comments I might have below, either upon my return, or tomorrow!

------

The next morning.

I missed the wimmin sucessfully. Terri said the buff UPS guy came to the door and she said he was the 'entertainment' and the girls let out quite the ruckus, which sent him running (he wasn't the entertainment, and to be fair, he runs all the time anyway.)

I met David Wilson, the owner of the company which built my speakers. He is very impressive in his pursuit of his "vision" if you will, of how a speaker should sound. He discussed other designs than his, was respectful of others and their way, and spoke almost lovingly of his 50 employees. That's a mark of goodness. He wasn't there to sell us, but to show off his top of the line speaker. I didn't get a great picture, mainly because the 700 pound unit (one of two) is so large. In real life it looks so much better than any pro picture I've seen of it.





Rear without cover - many adjustments!


...and even more, these electronic!

His marketing director also demoed their new small model and it was, to my ear, as impressive within limits, as the large one.

The showrooms are in a victorian house... it's absolutely beautiful. The event was catered and suprisingly not all middle aged bald guys. In fact, two women attended -one a partner of a guy and the other alone!


Beautiful showroom entry...


I had THE sweet seat for the big demo and must say I was extremely impressed. The sense of reality was there. I only wish I had been familiar with the music they played.


I estimate this at about $70,000 worth of gear. The amps (bottom left) - were the first two in the US of this Conrad-Johnson model. They sounded glorious.

All in all a wonderful time, a rare opportunity at ne plus ultra, which surely must be one of the premier high end stores in the country.

No comments: