Monday, April 10, 2006

PSYCHOTIC REACTION

(Count 5)

Few things stress me out like car repair. I have had many bad experiences. When I had my Porsche, I couldn't get decent service in New York, St. Catherine's Ontario, Canada, or San Diego. In San Diego I would have it fixed again and again and again as each time they didn't fix the problem! Finally, in Houston, I found a GUY - not a dealership - who could make it run.

A guy putting an aftermarket radio into the Porsche blew out the engine computer, which had to be air freighted in from Germany.

On an old Camaro, the wheels would never stay aligned. But that was potholed Pittsburgh.

I had a VW Dasher... and once I left the dealership with the engine literally smoking. I stopped. Lifted the hood. Found a wrench. It wasn't the cause of the smoke, but, c'mon! And c'mon!

My VW truck blew its motor.

In Minneapolis I came to trust my Audi dealership which they say was the largest in the country... 4 wheel drive being important there. Even so, there were issues and I got into an argument with a service advisor who lied to me about what had been done, about what I had said to do. I blew her in to management and she was 'retired.'

So today - if the Audi will start - and that's no sure thing - I will take it or truck it to the dealer and hope they can find what's wrong and fix it and that I can find a way home.

Last time it was in for service, I was hit by a dump truck while in the rental car substitute.

Stress. Helplessness. Expensive helplessness. What a joy. Always an adventure.

----

And so I do manage to get it into the shop. And they do manage to get it into a bay where the tech says he needs two hours (more) minimum of diagnosis. It could be this or that. The service advisor adds, or that2. This is in stock. That and that2 aren't, and will have to be shipped in.

I take a rental and put full insurance on it. If I don't total it or forget to return it, I am covered!

Oh - and my headlight with sleepy-eye: that'll be $470 plus labor. "and usually people get both, because one is nice and shiny and the other is oxidized, etc." I say the hell with that - replace the one that needs it. "Can't you just adjust it?" "No, sorry."

While waiting I fall in love with an $85,000 A-8-L. What a car!

Finally I make it home, about 3 1/2 hours after I left this morning... and I await THE CALL which will outline how quickly the service charges will add up, and how long they'll need the car to fix it. And I just put $2000 into the car.

I have crossed the threshold where I start to be nickel and dimed to death by my car. Only a nickel is now $500 and a dime is $1000.

No comments: