Thursday, August 24, 2006

I WANT TO BE LARRY DAVID


I've been watching the DVDs of Season 5 of Curb Your Enthusiasm and realize I want to be Larry David. (I'd say "when I grow up" but I don't ever want to grow up.) Larry David wrote the first 5 seasons of Seinfeld and has his own show on HBO, Curb Your Enthusiasm. It turns out to be unusually ad-libbed, though the high points/comedic devices are worked out in advance. There are several interviews on the second disc in which cast members describe Larry as having unusual vision and a "let's just do it" attitude. Also that there's lots of laughter and mutual respect and fun as Larry puts his skew on everyday life, puncturing convention with humor.

Said Seinfeld writer Peter Mehlman of David: "Larry is very in tune with his own deepest, darkest, most embarrassing thoughts -- and he's utterly unabashed about sharing them." Indeed, since starting out on the NY comedy-club scene, the Brooklyn native's dry, off-kilter sensibility has been found in his writing as well as his (more infrequent) acting. In 1999 David wrote and starred in "Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm", a one-hour special for HBO which spawned the critically acclaimed HBO series the following year. The second season was nominated for an "Outstanding Comedy Series" Emmy®. The show's third season was nominated for ten Emmy® Awards including Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for Larry and Best Comedy Series. In 2003, Curb Your Enthusiasm received the Golden Globe award for Best Television Series-Musical or Comedy. David was also nominated for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series-Musical or Comedy. more:


I remember - in my small way, by comparison - walking into the production room of the radio station I programmed in Houston, and saying to the production director, I wanted to do a promo, and let's just wing it - it's about this or that... let's start here and see what happens. He'd give me a look and humor me... and we'd come up with some wonderful stuff. Kindergarten compared to Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I 'get it' and I want to be Larry David.

No comments: