Monday, May 23, 2005

Deep in the Heat of Texas

We love Texas. We had the opportunity to move anywhere we wanted, and, perhaps as a reaction to years in the cold and snow - the last 12 in Minnesota, chose this dirt farm in Texas. I write "dirt farm" as we are battling with whomever over the bad landscaping. What we have is mostly dirt and unfilled promises. Somewhere, there's a former high school cheerleader, now housewife to 5 little 'uns, with another on the way, standing in the doorway of her trailer in nowhere Oklahoma or West Texas, Where The Devil Summers, and I feel a geological bond over the miles and dust devils.

But a ray of sunshine is cast on our rays of sunshine (High 96 or so today) as I have just fired up our air conditioners for their very first time. (Yes - plural - we are ZONED - in a non druggie way.) And while our kindred spirit in the paragraph above has that noisy window model which smells like cheap after shave since she nagged her man about the moldy taint, and he, riding with Jose Cuervo, dumped a whole half bottle of Aqua Velva into the filter and told her to shut the * up!

Ours is a new house. We prefer wide open windows, but I thought it wise to run the refrigeration today, while the builder is still in bidness, just in case it spits or belches or arcs or seeps.

And for that housewife, I offer a song:

I gave you my trust, my dreams and my dust
for 6 lonely years in a field
just know that the heat makes every man I meet
look like a ticket out
of Costco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this one Bob!