Saturday, May 21, 2005

There's something out there!

Each night, as the sun dips below the vast Texas horizon, and little things scurry out from their hidey holes, the dusk brings a glow. Rock faces and concrete reflect heat like a singles bar men's room mirror at closing time. Well, okay, not that kind of heat.

And as the dusk turns to a thin line on the horizon, with cobalt blue and purple above, a lone star twinkles (Texas, you know)... and something starts making an odd noise in a tree not far away.

I have investigated: sent rays of powerful flashlight beam into the tree, trying to catch the glowing eye of whatever thing is there. I am reminded of the movie Predator. It sees me. I see nothing.

It sounds - I swear I'm not making this up - like the sword of Zorro. Swish swish swish!!! Now I am pretty sure it isn't Mr or Ms Z. It has stamina. Goes all night. Off in the distance another exchanges data packets.

I honestly know of no creature that makes a noise like that. It remains stationary, so it is not a bat flying about on noisy wings.

We live in a new development with only 17 homes occupied: No crop circles, though there are dirt circles from landscaping hell, but that's a whole other story.

No comments: