Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Mice and Prostitution.

Richard, our Expert bug and pest guy, left some sticky traps in our garage on his last Death To The Scorpion Scourge Crusade. I like Richard - he has childlike enthusiasm for spreading bug death. I used to pour paint thinner into ant holes and set it afire when I was a child. We share a bond.

Several of the sticky traps in the garage have caught mice flatfooted. I say flatfooted because their tiny feet became glued to the trap. One died with no apparent struggle, the other left fur, scat, and my crying wife in its wake. Actually, not wake, but I couldn't resist the pun. I scraped little mousey off the sticky stuff and he limped away. I thought I heard a vulture laugh but maybe it was a caw.

Maybe we caught mousey twice - who knows?

Anyway, today I went looking for mouse traps. I raised mice in high school as a 'science project' and know firsthand that one and one equals a trazillion mice in about 6 weeks. So I discovered someone has literally built a better mousetrap! In fact, it's the same guys who make the old reliable mousetrap, the one that has snapped dad's fingers for decades, not to mention surprised cheese raiders with tails.

The new one looks VERY benign - the death part takes place out of view and you simply haul the thing to the trash and push "release" while looking at your shoes. No mouse carcass. No tiny limos. No service.

Of course it COSTS 4 times what the regular one costs, but that's the price of Progress when a little guilt tax is thrown in.

Meanwhile, I read today that Nevada is struggling with taxing prostitution. Some feel the tax would help legitimize what is already legal in 10 of 17 counties. A number discussed was $2 a head. They projected that would bring $3,200,000 into the state coffers over the next two fiscal years!!! Do the math!

So, whether you are a man or a mouse, be warned - there apparently are better traps out there.

No comments: