Sunday, May 15, 2005

HOLLYWOOD STARS

A friend was in a movie scene as an extra with John Travolta recently. He didn't TALK to him, but there was a moment he reported when Travolta locked eyes with him for a second or two. My friend looks somewhat like Tom Cruise, so maybe that was why the look.

There are stars who - as part of their charm - make you feel they would be wonderful friends and completely engaging as such. This could account for some of their popularity.

My list includes John Travolta - boy would I like to go fly with him!

And Tom Hanks. There's a guy who is just... a regular guy (so it seems.)

I once got to speak with John Candy for about a half hour and he too was just real folks. What a kick. I asked him what it was like to see his name on a movie theater sign or see a cardboard cutout of himself and he said it just seemed like another person. I was on the radio for about 6 years altogether and felt my on the air self was not the self I lived in. So I get what he meant, on a much, much smaller scale.

I think Julia Roberts would be real. Natalie Portman interviews as if she'd be that way too.

But you never know... the seduction of the biz, the hangers-on - it has to be like crack.

Some celebs actively avoid that and you get the sense they know it's a cancer of some sort.

We elevate our stars because of their talent, but don't you think somewhere in that popularity is just a little "they're really like us" in our dreams? And wouldn't it be cool to NOT be impressed, to hang out without awe, and be friends?

No comments: