Thursday, June 30, 2005

Dancing With The Tar Mop

A friend recently lost his job. He actually 'left the company' after the person who hired him, who we will call Boss1, was replaced by Boss2, who wanted 'his own man.' In my last radio programming position, after years of devoted service and even some praise, my jobs (yes, more 'n' one) were 'absorbed.' No hard feelings. I found out something was up, in a peculiar twist of awareness, at an awards ceremony - we were nominees! I think that's ironic-funny.

But speaking to my now unemployed friend, we lamented that in trying - honestly - to do our very best, to add value, to 'do the right thing,' it clearly didn't matter. Or didn't matter enough in today's corporate world. Or the reality we find ourselves in. You name it.

My friend said he might find himself in a new occupation, on the roof of a building, Dancing With The Tar Mop. Well, I sure know a great phrase when I hear one. No longer will someone be...

"absorbed"
"on the street"
"at liberty"
"blown out"
"let go"
"terminated"
"squashed like a bug"
"excised"
"cut"
"got quit"
"ankled"
or
"downsized"

No, from now on, like Fred Astaire, we'll be Dancing With The Tar Mop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob, you left out "on the beach", almost as good as the tar mop! cp @ Smooth Jazz 100.3