Sunday, June 12, 2005

Show me your peaches, girl, let me shake your tree!

When I lived in Ontario, I was close to the Fruit Belt. There I would buy whole PECKS of peaches - giant, softball sized, juicy, sweet, drool inspiring, never-seen-before-or-after miracles of farming. In Canada! Amazing! A peck is a basket. A generous basket. 4 Pecks equal one BUSHEL!

I would go canoeing with a cooler loaded with them. I'd spot another canoe and offer him/her/them cool peaches. What a treat! Back home - I'd eat them till I was - how to say this delicately? - 'bathroom challenged.' Never made that mistake IN A CANOE.

When we moved to Texas, we took a day trip to a town about 70 miles away where there were PEACHES signs everywhere. Some vineyards too. And wildflowers. It was January. Cut to today - it's PEACH SEASON and Terri and I figured we drive TOWARD Fredericksburg and there'd be plenty of roadside peach selling stands along the way.

But no.

Not until you GET to Fredericksburg, or darn close.

And the peaches are, well, some were golf ball sized. Some a C- medium size. I bought 10 dollars worth - about a dozen.

So, gas at 20 mpg, 150 Mi, 7.5 gal at 2.20 = 16.50
Lunch at Der Lindenbaum = $38.00
Peaches = $10.00

Total: 64.50
$5.37 cents a peach.

Oh well, some guys have huge boats just to fish for fish that cost THOUSANDS in expenses when caught. The ride was nice and Terri and I had lots of laughs.

No comments: